SkillsBuilder – the industry-leading suite of assessments and resources
SkillsBuilder is our unique suite of initial and diagnostic assessments and learning resources in Functional Skills English, maths and ICT, and GCSE English and maths. Both programmes are in line with the appropriate national standards allowing for simple and efficient tracking. Our packages also include assessments in learning styles and PLTS.
Initial and Diagnostic Assessments
Our initial assessments will accurately identify not only each learner’s overall working-towards level but also their spiky profile as well. The assessments are adaptive, responding to learner answers and offering correspondingly easier or harder questions. The questions are banked so a learner will never sit an identical assessment twice.
Our Functional Skills initial assessment will accurately assess a learner’s level from pre-entry to level 2, and includes a built-in dyslexia/dyscalculia screener. Our GCSE assessment will precisely measure a learner’s ability on the new 1-9 system.
In addition, our diagnostic assessments also contain banked questions and will identify a learner’s skills gaps, producing a unique individual skills plan (ISP) that will signpost the resources each learner needs.
Our resources package includes our vast bank of ground-breaking video resources – many of which include challenges. The videos cover all of the key topics in Functional Skills and GCSE, and have been carefully crafted to engage your learners. The videos are available free through our unique ForSkillsGo app and are backed up with information pages, illustrating key points and examples before a learner puts their knowledge to the test with our practice skills.
Our practice skills questions are self-marking, providing your learners with hints and feedback just like their own online tutor. Where a question requires a longer, written answer, feedback is provided in the form of a model answer.
Our summative assessments are the final part of the process and will assess a learner’s competency in a topic and then automatically sign it off the learner’s ISP.
Tracking and progression
Our individual skills plans (ISPs) allow easy tracking of the learner journey. Targets may be set, both individual and group targets, and portfolio evidence recorded. The system will recommend when a learner is ready to take a diagnostic at the next level, allowing for smooth and easy progression. Alternatively, a distance-travelled diagnostic may be set to measure progress by topic.
Reports will capture and measure progression by individual learner, topic, group or whole institution – a key area for Ofsted. The system supports blended learning as tutors can upload their own resources and mark topics as complete for individuals and groups, for work done offline or online, in the classroom or remotely.
The benefits for the learner
- Personalised learning programme in Functional Skills or GCSE
- Interesting and engaging interactive assessments which are adaptive to individual abilities, providing a positive learning experience
- Personalised learning materials including our superbly engaging video resources which match the learning gaps identified by the diagnostic assessment, and are accessible on the Internet from anywhere
- The system will recommend when the learner is ready to take a diagnostic at the next level, allowing for smooth and easy progression
The benefits for the tutor
- Robust and engaging initial assessment which provides a dyslexia/dyscalculia screening process
- Reliable suite of self-marking assessments, thus cutting the tutor’s workload
- Diagnostic system which identifies the learner’s individual strengths as well as individual skills gaps
- Individual Skills Plan (ISP) automatically generated from each learner’s diagnostic results
- Reports which measure progression by group and topics within a group, and reports which gauge the group need to help organise and focus group teaching
The benefits for the employer
- Effective, accurate initial and diagnostic assessments
- Allocation of only those learning resources which are relevant will cut time and cost of raising learners’ skills to the appropriate level
The benefits for the organisation
- Oversee the whole organisation’s assessment process and results
- Oversee the whole organisation’s progress
- Track site usage and performance by learner, tutor and group
- Seamlessly integrates with your own management information systems